Winning Communities Projects
Tremont Identified Goal Areas:
The six community goal areas below were developed and prioritized by members of each committee and subsequently endorsed by the larger group of community participants. Each committee is presently working on the development and attainment of priority goals in each area.
Arts, Recreation and Leisure
Goal Area: Arts, Recreation and Leisure
Goal: To promote educational opportunities to citizens of all ages and provide recreational activities to improve the quality of life.
- Extend Park out to Rt. 9
- Develop new signage for Cullinan Park
- Make parks handicapped-accessible
- Redesign/enhance gardens / sitting areas at the park
- Develop a community center / all purpose building for community activities
- Develop Concerts in the Park program
- Develop a soccer field in Tremont
- Develop art classes in Tremont and a place to showcase the art
Goal Area: Community Development
Goal: To encourage housing growth in Tremont while maintaining a small-town atmosphere, and to continue to develop a long-term community plan for marketing and growth of the community.
- Increase residential housing opportunities – subdivisions.
- Hire a city manager position for Tremont for the purposes of attracting residential development.
- Continue long-term community planning for Tremont.
- Develop a marketing plan for Tremont, coordinating efforts with Economic Development area.
Goal Area: Economic Development
Goal: Develop Tremont through a plan that will help to be appealing to desired types of new businesses as well as existing businesses.
- Develop an economic development planning committee.
- Establish a new restaurant in the community.
- Develop I-155 including a convenience store, recognized fast food restaurant, and a motel.
- Develop an artery off Rt. 9 that is zoned for business.
- Develop new retail business and stimulate existing businesses.
Goal Area: Image/Appearance
Goal: To have a community that is attractive and aesthetically pleasing to both residents and visitors.
- Develop an aesthetically pleasing corridor along Route 9 with Tiber Creek (from Sampson Street East). – Phase 1
- Beautify Main St.
- Develop an aesthetically pleasing corridor along Route 9 with Tiber Creek (from Sampson Street West.) – Phase 2
- Facilitate relationship with private developers and owners of existing storage lots and adjacent lands to convert land to its highest potential use.
- Create an incentive program for the beautification of private properties (Orchid Award)
- Encourage enforcement of laws regarding image or develop new ones.
- Clean up junk cars and lots in Tremont.
Goal Area: Infrastructure
Goal: Develop an infrastructure that will grow with the needs of the village.
- Determine the most safe and effective improvement of traffic flow at Sampson and Rt. 9 and then take action.
- Plan to upgrade our present treatment ponds to a treatment plant, add water and sewer lines.
- Create a plan for improving and developing new curbs, gutters, and sidewalks on all streets.
- Develop underground utilities.
- Stripe Sampson St. and mark parking spaces.
- Develop a traffic flow study for the village.
Goal Area: Technology
Goal: Quality technology infrastructure will allow Tremont to meets the needs of business and homes in today’s electronic world. Access to state of the art technologies and communication is essential to the quality of life of residents and fundamental to any economic development.
- Develop Tremont Community website.
- Develop computer classes for Tremont residents.
- Provide high speed internet access to all residences and businesses in Tremont area.